These chocolate macaroons are addictive–enjoy!
4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 large egg whites
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups unsweetened dried flaked coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line two baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a stainless steel bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and vanilla together. Stir in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is well coated. If the mixture is too soft, refrigerate for 30 minutes before proceeding.
4. Using an 1/8 cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture into individual rounds and place them on the baking sheets a few inches apart. (If you have a pastry bag with a wide tip you can pipe the macaroons onto the baking sheets.)
5. Bake for 18 minutes or until the macaroons are shiny.
6. Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Store in a Tupperware container for up to 1 week, layered with wax paper.
Tip: If you don’t have time to make the macaroons you can buy them from the store and dip them in melted chocolate ( see step #2.) Then sprinkle with Maldon salt.