- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 oz sliced pancetta or bacon , finely chopped
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine or champagne
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- S and P to taste
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Then add the pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add veal,pork and Italian sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up any lumps, until meat is no longer pink, 6 to 10 minutes. Stir in wine, milk, tomato paste and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated but sauce is still moist, about 1 hour.
I like to use Cipriani Pappardelle pasta. It’s the best and it tastes like you have made it yourself.
Parmesan is optional.