My good friend Lesley Campoy dropped by this week. She made me the most delicious persimmons bread from her tree, which inspired me to create a persimmons signature sneeky.
Lulu's Persimmons Sneeky
2 persian cucumbers chopped
2 fuyu persimmons peeled and chopped
2 limes squeezed
1 tablespoon honey
6 basil leaves
Place all ingredients in Cuisinart and pulse.
Add 2 oz of gin to 3 oz of puree, serve over ice.
James Beard Persimmons Bread
- 3½ cups sifted flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 to 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter and cooled to room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup Cognac, bourbon or whiskey
- 2 cups persimmon puree (from about 4 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups raisins, or diced dried fruits (such as apricots, cranberries, or dates)
1. Butter 2 loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree then the nuts and raisins.
5. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.