- 2 pounds small carrots or large carrots quartered and cut into 3-inch segments, peeled (about 4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 avocado, cut into 12 wedges
- 2 cups mixed baby sprouts, herbs, and microgreens
- 4 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Cut the orange and lemon in half and juice half of each one, reserving the juice and the unjuiced halves, and discarding the juiced halves. Combine the cumin, garlic, thyme, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the red wine vinegar, red pepper, 1 teaspoon of the orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Season the marinade to taste with salt and pepper. Add the marinade and the unjuiced citrus halves to the carrots and toss to combine. Spread the carrots and citrus halves on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the carrots are slightly shriveled with a few brown spots, about 20 minutes. Allow the carrots to cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile squeeze the juice from the roasted citrus halves into a small bowl. Add the remaining fresh orange juice, lemon juice, remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil, and the sugar. Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
Divide the carrots and avocado slices onto four plates. Divide the greens among the plates on top of the carrots and avocado. Add a tablespoon of crème fraiche to each salad. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and sesame seeds over each plate.