Grilling makes everything from peaches to tortillas look and taste divine! Grilled pineapple with the roasted flavor of malted whipped cream is a slice of heaven: light but indulgent.
• 2 cups heavy cream
• Kumquat syrup (see recipe below)
• ¼ cup malted milk powder
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 whole pineapple
1. In a food processor, process the cream until it starts to thicken. Add ¼ cup of the kumquat syrup and the malted milk powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Pulse a couple more times, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until thick.
2. Cut the pineapple into ½-inch-thick rounds (rind, core, and all). Turn your grill on high and place the pineapple rounds directly on the grate. The natural sugars will caramelize; turn once to get grill marks on both sides of each round. Put each round on a plate and brush both sides with kumquat syrup. Let cool. Add a dollop of the whipped cream on top of each and garnish with whole kumquats from the syrup.
• 1 cup whole kumquats
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup water
• ½ cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1. Put the kumquats, sugar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once it's boiling, give it a good stir and let boil for about four minutes, until the syrup coats a spoon.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the ½ cup basil leaves. Let cool, then remove the basil leaves. Transfer the kumquats and syrup to separate containers.